Thursday, March 10, 2011

Part 2 "Another Person's Treasaure"



The next two pieces shown are part two of my series, "Another Person's Treasure."  Let me also state that there is no implication that the pieces shown are junk.  I re-emphasize that they're all quality pieces(collectables and antiques) and are highly sought after.  I'm simply demonstrating ways to aquire them by spending little to no money.  If you opt to sell them, they can be extremely profitable depending on where, how, and who's buying, but whatever you do, the thing that makes them beautiful to own, if they fit your style of course, is their origin, especially from family.  For instance, the chair in photo 1 is an antique passed down from my girlfriends grandparents.  It's a traditional creole style lounge chair that has 3 adjustments to sit upright or recline. Its design is reminiscent of many contemporary styles with the exception of it's wood and a basket type weave combination.  It's familiar in many French Caribbean homes often arranged with a creole style bench in a seating area or fumoir as it's called;  an open section off of the living room or dining room where one can chat, smoke, drink, or listen to music in a way that's semi-private and out of the way of traffic. Old and out-dated to many, it's still very stylish and adds a nice touch; mixing well with a contemporary look.  It's value is upwards from 800 euro (around $1100 U.S.)

The chair in the second photo is the classic molded fiberglass arm chair designed by Charles and Ray Eames.  Another piece of mid-century design widely used because of it's timeless style.  It comes in a variation of leg styles including a rocking chair version. So many pieces from the mid-century and early century make me re-think the word modern.  In fact, modern to me, in terms of furniture design, is something we're still trying to catch up to as these designs are forward and deemed  retro by merely their bith date.  Many designs from the 20th century are so forward that the perception of antique is susceptible to change.   In any case, I found this piece driving through Bed Stuy, a neigborhood in Brooklyn.  I was at a traffic light and noticed it from my truck in the midst of real junk at one of these real junk shops sporadically sprawled around Brooklyn.  I'm talking stuff on top of stuff; layers of grit with a modicum of organization.  I was hoping to see Fred and Grady (Sanford and Son sitcom from the 70's) sitting out front sipping some ripple.  I immediately pulled over, grabbed it off of the pile of real junk and asked the real junk dealer how much?  To my astonishment, the real junk dealer sitting in a van in front of  the real junk shop serving as the cashier area told me (sit down for this one) "Six dollars." I couldn't believe my ears!  Knowing that this baby easily fetches for $200 - $250, I would have given him sixty which is what I thought I heard at first, but wasn't sure because clearly he didn't say "six" or did he?  So in my incredulity I asked him to repeat the price while trying to conceal my excitement, just to be sure I heard what I thought I heard or what he actually said, and to hear again the sweet melody of "six dollars" which I heard clearly this time. I almost gave him ten just because, but who had time to dicker to pay more; I had to exit expeditiously before he tried to change the price, detecting my giddiness as a give away to him giving me such a low price. Don't you just love serendipity?  The point is, get to know what you're looking for or what you can make work because often it's right under your nose ready to be given away.  If you have the time, patience, and an eye for what you want, you can implement some choice pieces this way, all while saving money and without sacrificing style, to create not only a home, but a story. 

1 comment:

  1. hey, hey bon jour. i've landed. finally.

    well i like this. i like the interpersonal quality, the advice the back stories. its magazineque context/contents. it has a eureopean mag quality. takes the viewer. something found in international interiors. very what it is; not stylized. people live here.

    so is this a lucrative endeavor. would you welcome a repartee of desingers talking shop?
    hummmm? see you in bklyn troy so glad i am on the page with you. au revoir

    ReplyDelete